Potluck was founded to help end the cycle of poverty in the Downtown Eastside community and address the needs of its most nutritionally vulnerable residents through solutions that promote employment and nutrition. Potluck’s goal is to create an inclusive and healthy neighbourhood through grassroots community economic development.
Potluck works to improve the quality of life for individuals in the Downtown Eastside through a cohesive and holistic approach that includes the following programs:
- Jobs with on-the-job training and life skills support for individuals with barriers to traditional employment.
- Meal Program serving 16,200 free, nutritious meals each year to nutritionally vulnerable DTES residents.
- DTES Kitchen Tables Project, led by Potluck Café Society and working in collaboration with residents and community stakeholders, to increase the availability, affordability, and choice of healthy food for DTES individuals while creating jobs in the community.
- Community Kitchen where neighborhood residents prepare and enjoy a meal together while learning cooking and nutrition skills in the Potluck Café.
- Recipes for Success that shares our unique employment support model with businesses interested in hiring individuals with barriers to employment.